Winter Gardening Calendar
‘Winter: Tis the season to bring the outdoors in!
Fill your home with wreaths, Christmas trees, poinsettias, garland, amaryllis, and houseplants this winter. Rest up before the ground thaws and we dig back into the dirt again come spring! Dream up container garden combinations for spring, research new plants of the coming season, and review notes from past seasons to see what worked and what didn’t.
- Bring home fresh cut flowers and fill your home with beautiful color and fragrance
- Arrange spruce tips and red dogwood twigs in pots for seasonal decoration
- Force bulbs, such as paperwhites and amaryllis, indoors to spice up windowsills
- Send flowers!
- Peruse gardening books and magazines at a local bookstore to jumpstart your imagination as you begin planning container combos
- Start planting seeds indoors to get a jump start on spring
- Prune ornamental trees while they’re dormant
- Apply Dormant Oil to fruit and ornamental trees to kill overwintering insects
- Remove black knot on plum and cherry trees
- Start tender bulbs, such as cannas, dahlias, caladiums and tuberous begonias, indoors to give them a head start and encourage them to bloom in your garden earlier than if they were planted directly in the ground.