Production Greenhouse Supervisor
As a Sargent’s Greenhouse Supervisor, you are part of a team responsible for producing healthy, live product (plant material) to sell in both Sargent’s retail stores and landscape services. This position will supervise all areas of annual and perennial production.
You will measure your success here at Sargent’s by safely and efficiently producing our live product to the highest standards. You will be part of a team that is growing and developing every day and you will play a key role in that development. As a top performer in this role, you will be highly skilled at greenhouse production and will lead and communicate well.
We strive to grow high quality annuals and perennials to pass on to our customers. We know we have done our job well when we have produced a superior product in a timely fashion.
- A desire to do our best. We do not come to work every day to be average.
- A culture of respect and inclusivity. Sargent’s understands that we succeed or fail as one. Our definition of success requires that everyone feels safe and respected.
- A vision of prosperity. You have goals for your life. We do too. We want those goals to be closer tomorrow than they are today.
- Plenty of sunshine and a connection with nature.
- A high-energy, fast-paced and fun working environment.
- More information on Sargent’s culture can be found on our careers page: https://sargentsgardens.com/careers/
- Minimum weekend availability of two weekends per month throughout the season with higher availability from April – mid-June. (Minimum 55-60 hours per week)
- Supervisor role: involves managing personnel when Growers are unavailable either as primary supervisor for the day or working and communicating with other supervisors to achieve goals for the shift.
- Teaching and mentoring other employees.
- Effective communication with other staff members and making it a priority.
- Adherence to Sargent’s training system and training staff accordingly.
- Overseeing and guiding staff through Career Pathways book.
- Friendly, motivated, hardworking team player that enjoys working in the outdoors.
- Love for plants and the desire to learn.
- Ablility to work as part of a team or individually.
- Planting plants on an automated planting line or by hand.
- Capacity for hand-watering, weeding, deadheading, pulling landscape, contractor, and garden center orders.
- Ability to keep detailed records when planting, shipping, and pulling orders.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to work in inclement weather.
- Willingness to assist in other departments, i.e. garden center, ornamental potted trees and shrubs (woody plants), and field work with trees.
- Assist with Employee Reviews with seasonal employees.
- Assist with covering of greenhouses, covering of plants at end of season, cleaning and shutting down greenhouses, all end of season tasks.
- A love for a fast-paced environment
- A love for taking on robust problems with short deadlines. We sell living products. This requires short deadlines and an “All Hands on Deck” attitude.
- The physical capacity of bending, twisting, being on one’s feet for long hours, and lift at least 25 lbs., sometimes repeatedly.
- An ability to speak/translate Spanish, a plus.
- A Shift works every other weekend beginning March 4-5, 2023, through November 11-12, 2023.
- B Shift works every other weekend beginning February 25-26, 2023, through November 4-5, 2023.
Wage Rate: $19-$20 per hour.
Employee discount which includes up to 30% off plant materials.
Retirement Plan through a 401k. Sargent’s offers a match up to 4%.
Health Insurance options for Eligible Employee and Families (Sargent’s pays for 75% of employee monthly cost).
Paid Time Off (PTO). Eligible Sargent’s employees will earn paid time off.
*Minimum number of hours worked necessary for some benefits to apply.